Hard Tack Recipe (Sebastian W)

Hard Tack Recipe
First you are going to need:
2 c. whole wheat flour
½ to 1 c. water
6 pinches of salt
1 tbsp. vegetable shortening or oil
Rolling pin
Cookie sheet

Instructions:
First preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Mix the flour and salt in a bowl with a large wooden spoon
Slowly add water until dough will form.  Dough should not stick to hands or silverware but should still be squishy
Roll out dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle
Cut dough into equal pocket sized squares for battlefield
Make 4 rows with 4 indents across each hardtack with a knife
Turn on oven and place them in their for 30 minutes
Flip over for another 30 minutes
Take hardtacks out and let them cool
Prepare for war.

Story for Hardtack:
The date was July 16, 1861.  A dark day for me and my fellow Union brothers.  We walked to the battlefield with pride in our hearts and courage.  We passed many civilians who had come to watch.  When we arrived we took place and began to feast.  After our feast we moved out to where the confederates were.  As we ran I stopped to pick up a few hardtacks left by another soldier.  I placed them in my front pocket in front of my heart to save for a snack later.  As I made it to the front line I looked around for my troop but couldn't find them.  As I looked around in the smoke I realised that there wasn't anyone around.  All of a sudden a confederate came out of nowhere.  He saw me and raised his gun.  I heard a loud bang and felt a big push on my chest.  I fell backwards and landed on my back.  I felt a pain that I had never felt before.  I wondered if I would ever see my dear sister or brother ever again.  After a few minutes I wondered why I hadn't died.  I sat up and looked at my chest where the bullet had hit.  I pulled out my hardtacks and saw that the bullet was lodged inside them.  After that I ran until I found my troop.  That battle was the battle of Bull Run but I will always remember it as the Hardtack Battle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my family (Sebastian Warren)

Letter Home Stephen Taylor (Sebastian W)