1865 Blog - Letter Home

My Dearest Henrietta,
Hurrah! Richmond has fallen and we have taken over their capital during Lee's Last Campaign or The Battle of the Appomattox! Although if I'm honest, I feel quite bad for the Confederate soldiers, it's such a depressing sight to see. Overall, in the final battle of the everlasting Civil War, Saylor's Creek, the Confederate suffered by having 6,000 casualties. After General Lee's surrender at the Appomattox Courthouse, Lee and Grant decided on four terms of surrender which were that Smith gave Lee's troops 25,000 rations, because Confederate soldiers were practically starved to death, the battle flags and Confederate weapons were to be turned in, the soldiers personal arms or horses could be kept, and they two promised not to fight. I will be returning home soon! I miss everyone enormously, and tell the kids I will be coming home soon! Much love!
Charles C. Ward

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my family (Sebastian Warren)

Letter Home Stephen Taylor (Sebastian W)