Anna K. Scales Blog

Dearest Sally,

I have been constantly busy, with Grant and Sherman's troops spread so thin defending our recently captured cities, only to be met with immense casualties. The 3 year enlistment is up, and many troops and soldiers in my regiment are returning home, only to be replaced with hired men who fight with no purpose. Sherman had us march all the way to Altlanta without provisions! He promised us supplies once we reached our destination... only to find that we were ordered to steal, kill, and burn everything in our path. Although a glorious victory, I found the violence toward civilians disturbing. I hope all is well at home, and Billy is strong and healthy. Hope to be home soon,

Yours,
Alfred A. Scales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to my family (Sebastian Warren)

Letter Home Stephen Taylor (Sebastian W)